Saturday, March 28, 2009

A lot of drama for a Saturday morning


I've been gearing up all week for the team run today. So when the alarm went off this morning, I wasn't too weary. But then the drama started. I had to go back in to the house, no less than 4 times to get things I had forgotten - the iPod, my gloves (it was 22 degrees when I left this morning), my Nike Plus thing ... you get the idea.

Today all of the runners and walkers training for the Seattle Marathon wore pink in honor of Gracie. It's her favorite color. (See in the picture above? I wore my pink proudly.)

We were supposed to be meeting in St Paul down by the river. I printed out driving directions last night but couldn't find the meeting location. I finally gave up and decided to just go run on my own for 8 miles. It was a beautiful morning, even if it was 22 degrees. There were already quite a few runners out. About 1.5 miles in, I came upon the Team in Training meeting spot. Well, at least I know where it is now! I met the coach, who sent me on my way for the run. All the way up Summit Ave (yep up - what little elevation exists in Minnesota, I experienced it this morning). So, off I went.

About another mile in, my iPod crapped out on me. Apparently a couple of minutes of charging isn't enough for a run that lasts an hour and a half! I had to run the rest of the way listening to my own heavy breathing. Like I said, a lot of drama for a Saturday morning!

But the most important is, I did it!! By the time I got back to my car, I had run 8.5 miles. Crazy!! I just might be on the verge of calling myself a runner!

1 comment:

The Truth Is Tricky... said...

And I ran 3 miles along the San Francisco Bay this morning - I feel so inadequate now! Good work on your part!