Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Get in Gear 10K!


I have officially completed my first 10K race and it went really well! Sean and I were joined by 7000 of our closest friends in the race on a cool but sunny day. And, my sister Bethany was there to cheer us on, even though she missed us both coming across the finish line. Such a bummer!

Here we are getting ready for the race:


That's me in the pink shirt and hat and Sean walking toward me. It's really quite something to run with such a big crowd. This is really what it looked like for most of the race:


I felt really good the whole way. With that many people, you really are distracted most of the time by trying to move around people and keep your pace going. I kept an eye on my NikePlus and was feeling really good about the pace most of the way. Of course, my iPod was blasting in my ears too. Here was the rockstar playlist:

Paper Planes - M.I.A. (always my song for the start of a race)
Because of Love - Janet Jackson
Just a Ride - Jem
King Without a Crown - Matisyahu
Dirt Off Your Shoulder - Jay-Z
Stronger - Kanye West
Someone to Call My Lover - Janet Jackson
Sweetest Girl (Dollar Bill) - Wyclef Jean
Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode
Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker
Mercy - Duffy
Freedom - George Michael
September - Earth, Wind & Fire
Final Countdown - Europe (always the best song for the end of a race)

And yes, I do go from listening to Matisyahu, the Orthodox Jew rapper to Jay-Z singing "Dirt Off Your Shoulder."

My goal was to finish the race in under an hour, which would be a pace just under 10 minutes/mile. I finished at 58:35 and felt GREAT about it! Here's a link to the official results. You'll see I placed 604 out of 1766 women runners. Not too bad! Sean seriously rocked it. He finished in 45 minutes and placed 319 out of 1647 men!

Here's Sean and I after the race. Pay no attention to the fact that my face is the same color as my shirt:

So it was a good day all around. Special thank to Sis for cheering us on!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job on the race! I think you should try Johnny Cash's version of "Personal Jesus" next time, just to mix it up. And "the Final Countdown" can't be mentioned without me thinking of Arrested Development... too good.