Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ode to my first pair of running shoes



Alas, the time has come for you to retire, dear running shoes. You were the first pair I ever purchased specifically for running. How have I loved you? Let me count the ways:
  • You are silver and sassy and that makes a girl think that anything is possible.
  • You are the LIVESTRONG brand from Nike and therefore my purchase donated money to cancer research. You know I'm always a sucker for a good cause.
  • You introduced me to my second running-related love - my NikePlus. It's so very clever of you to get me hooked on your brand like that. And it worked. Oh, how it worked.
  • I never once had sore feet or blisters and that's pretty remarkable.
  • You took me so much farther than I ever thought possible. 268 miles farther, to be exact. I never thought I'd be the person who ran more than about two miles and only then it was because it was required for the volleyball team my senior year in high school.
So thank you, first pair of running shoes. You have shown me that I can do things I never thought I could.

No comments: