Sunday, April 12, 2009

Two big milestones in one day!

Yesterday was a big day, my friends. For so many reasons!

First:

This is the face of a girl who just ran 10 miles. Yes, 10. And it actually wasn't too bad. I finally made it to a team run with Team in Training down by the river again. It was another beautiful morning - about 40 degrees and sunny.

The group met up. We discussed the route - "turn at the Ford bridge - turn at the Franklin bridge - keep the river to your right." Seemed easy enough but for some reason I had to ask which bridges we were turning at about 10 times. I think it was the combination of the early morning fuzzy brain and the nerves over running 10 miles. I noticed a few other people did the exact same thing. Then someone shared a "mission moment", which is our reminder why we're raising money for cancer research. One person shared that she's a teacher and she's running in honor of one of her students.

Then it was time for the cheer. Oh yes, the cheer. It's a lot to ask at that hour on a Saturday morning, but I did my best to get in to it - "I say purple, you say green - purple! green! purple! green!" You get the idea. It did occur to me that there would probably be some form of the cheer on race day too. Since I'll be wearing a bright purple jersey along with the rest of my teammates, I decided that I'll just go with it and love the cheers. There's no acting too cool for school here.

And off we went! I kept up with the group out front for about two miles. I felt pretty good about keeping up with the "fast kids" as I called them in my head, but decided that I wouldn't be able to finish if I kept up that pace. So, I dropped back a ways and rocked out to my iPod. I think I'm better at running solo anyway. I like to jam out to the music and I'm not much for talking when I'm working that hard at keeping my legs going. I kept a pretty good pace for most of the 10 miles as you can see here:






Second:

I reached the halfway point for fundraising! And a few days ahead of my goal, too. I have been so humbled by the generosity of each one of you. Thank you so much to all of you who have helped me get this far!! And thanks in advance to those of you who will help me get the rest of the way there!

I added a thermometer to the side of the page here and I'll keep it updated as we get closer to the final goal.

Third:

I'm sending in the recommitment paperwork today, which means I can't back out now! I'm really going to do this!

Happy Easter, everyone!

No comments: